The word Morden means 'a hill in marshland' and comes from the old english Mordune. Alia Mordune (the other Morden) is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. By 1242 it had become Stepelmorden, Stepel meaning a Church Steeple.
|The original Church Steeple which gave the village its name has now gone, to be replaced by the current one erected in the 1860s. The old Steeple reputedly gave the village a well by falling spike-first into the ground. The site of the well can still be seen, although it fell into disuse after running water arrived in 1936|
|The village occupies a gentle rise between the hills to the south and the flat valley of the Rhee in the north. It centres around the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul but also comprises the various hamlets that help make up the parish. In the north is North Brook End, known as Glitton or Sticky Place before 1200. In the south is Gatley End, a substantial hamlet in the 13th century and further south still, adjacent to the railway line is the hamlet of Odsey, containing Ashwell & Morden station.||
|Why not visit the offical Steeple Morden Web Site?|